Stupendously lit






I sat underneath the stars that night, wrapped in the dire blanket of loneliness. The stars shook the sky with all their glowing auras that I’m sure the planets served them a respectful standing ovation. It was beautiful but silent. I wasn’t sitting alone, but my heart felt the void that couldn’t be contained. It is strange how one revolting yet deadly inaudible feeling could dominate all its fellow peers. I was scared.

I kept my eyes up, an attempt to avoid the scrutinising gazes around me. They weren’t staring, yet they were. Those stares that couldn’t be detected are the reason why I run, why I escape. It’s beautiful up there. No worries, no fears, just the serenity and the calmness that surround the galaxy. Perhaps they’re why the stars shine so vividly bright.

An hour has passed, and the masses of people are still increasing. Loud and suffocating is how the situation is. Screaming and running is what I want to do, yet I stay in a hushed position for the stars are too prepossessing to be disturbed. They light the sky even when underneath them the crowd pays no attention. They come up every night to do the task they’re destined to do. They tend to make me feel a sense of obligation to pay them a great deal of respect and focus on how they light up the darkness above.


By now, the talking has become unbearable. Nobody is utterly listening. Babbling and arguing is what us humans can do best.
But what if the whole world was quiet for a day? Will we listen to each other? Will we be able to listen in to our minds’ deepest thoughts? Will more of the universe’s secrets be unravelled? Will we love more deeply and genuinely? Perhaps appreciate the existence of our dear ones? Will we be able to let go and forgive? Even forget because of how peaceful it’ll become?


I close my eyes to imagine a world where the whole planet is paying respect to the stars that have passed away to be that incandescent. I like to believe that they’ll shine more colourfully if we offered them attention. Like an orchestra on stage, and we the audience in a massive opera house. Where nature’s art could be appreciated. Where our souls are washed from the sorrow, the despair, and the anger that we carry around onto our shoulders. Where our hearts could be mended with gold only to be more unyielding than titanium, yet more delicate than silk. It’ll be ravishing, but my mind is playing tricks, for it’s just a mere dream.

I open my eyes to the sight of the stars’ lights dimming. I panic, and my brain works overdrive. The stars fade away leaving an aura of pure bliss, ecstasy, and hope in love. The sun is up. The show is over. And I’m already longing for them littering the dark night’s sky.




Popular posts from this blog

The Holocaust Resurrection

What if?

Mea sola vetus amicus